Making PDF files SEO friendly
Are you trying to figure out a way to get search engines to drill down your online PDF files and improve its ranking? If that is the case then you have a reason to cheer up :), this post will guide you to follow few very basic steps to improve your PDFs online visibility.
Best Practices in SEO for PDF files
- Smartly name your PDFs - Typically, the PDF filename will become part of the URL, so give your document a good key-word rich filename.
- Set the PDF title - Yes, most of us just don't set PDF title properties, but the matter of fact is that the title tag is a huge ranking factor. To set title of a PDF file, open it in Adobe Acrobat or any other PDF creator and go to, File --> Properties
- Set the other document properties too - don't just ignore the other properties provide a good Subject (Description) and Keywords as you do it for your HTMLs
- Prefer text-based PDFs over image-dominated PDFs
- Set "alt" text for all the images - this will also increase the accessibility
- TouchUp Reading Order - allows to quickly add and edit PDF tags and view the reading order of the elements on the page.
Please let me know if missed something or if you want to have any query, I would be more than happy to answer your queries.